Pacific Gas & Electric Trucks
These three trucks are part of a "mini-scene" on my Glen Frazer Free-mo module.
They, along with a PG&E repair crew, add some life to the otherwise plain Franklin Canyon Road.
Below: Most of the mini-scene is visible here. The trucks are parked in the westbound lane as the crew inspects a balky transformer
on one of the utility poles I custom-built for Glen Frazer, using the Walthers kit. At the far left, a traffic flagman keeps in radio contact
with his counterpart (out of sight to the right). Nearby is the supervisor in the blue hardhat, chewing the fat with the crew foreman.
Up in the bucket is the technician doing the real work, while at the right a safety monitor keeps an eye on things. The roadway is
coned off, forcing traffic into a one-way situation. No problem - Franklin Canyon Road is lightly used by local residents only.
Below: The crane truck started as a Boley brand product, which I repainted into PG&E livery using Great Northern blue. The PG&E
decals, including the white/orange conspicuity striping, were custom-made by downloading images from the internet and re-sizing
them to HO scale using MS Visio, then printing onto white decal paper and lightly spraying with gloss-cote.
I added various items to bring it to life - spare transformers from the Walthers utility pole kit, a ladder I found in my spare parts box,
and a water jug also from the spare parts box and painted yellow/red. The traffic cones are hung on a wire loop mounted to the truck.
There's really only one cone, and I stacked several squares of styrene at various angles to simulate the bases of nested cones.
One of these days, I might attempt to light up the yellow beacon flashers.
This truck is removable and transported to Free-mo setups separate from the module - it's too bulky to safely afix to a module.
Below and Right: The utility pickup started as a Trident brand model.
I added Plano Models running boards and utility rack. As with the
crane truck, I threw a random assortment of "stuff" into the bed, mostly
scrounged from my spare parts boxes. The copper conduits are real
copper tubing held in place with black chart tape to simulate straps.
I made the license plates by downloading images from the internet,
re-sizing to HO scale using MS Visio, and printing on decal paper.
I cut them out and glued them directly onto the vehicle, such that the
decal backing paper gives them a bit of thickness and stiffness.
To make a specific license plate, try this:
Below: The cargo van also started as a Trident brand model. It took
the least work, just adding a cone stack up front and custom decals.